Diamond Jubilee of Faculty of Medicine, Peradeniya
The 60th birthday of Faculty of Medicine Peradeniya was celebrated on 4th of January 2022 with participation of Vice Chancellor of the university. To celebrate the day trees were planted at the faculty premises.
Medical education in Sri Lanka started with the opening of Colombo Medical School in 1870 under colonial rule. With more candidates qualifying to pursue a degree in Medicine, there came the requirement to increase the capacity. As a result, in 1962, a second Faculty of Medicine was established as a fledgling of the University of Ceylon. A cluster of semi-permanent buildings were erected at a site at the northern end of the Peradeniya campus, in close proximity to the main Kandy-Colombo road. This was administered through the University of Ceylon. There it still stands at the entrance to the University, having acquired more sophisticated infrastructure over the years while retaining some of the founding structures which tell the history. In 1966, the administration changed with appointment of Prof. Senaka Bibile as the first Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Peradeniya. His undying passion towards improving medical education led to the establishment of the faculty as we know today, with groundwork for the Teaching Hospital, Peradeniya also being laid under his vision.
The Faculty of Medicine at present comprises 17 academic departments under Pre-clinical; Departments of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology, Para-clinical; Departments of Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Parasitology, Microbiology, Pathology and Pharmacology and under Clinical; Departments of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology and Critical Care and Radiology.