The Curriculum Development Committee of the Faculty of Medicine introduced its new curriculum for medical students in the year 2004 and it is known as “Beyond 2004 Programme”. The basic concept of this programme was assignment based learning with emphasis on self learning.
Establishing the Electronic Information Resource Centre (E Library) was an important project to fulfill the self learning requirements of the “Beyond 2004 Programme”.
When the University Grants Commission agreed to provide sufficient funds to establish the E Library in the year 2003, the construction work started under direct supervision of the Dean Prof.A.S.B.Wijekoon.
Prof. A.S.B.Wijekoon, Dr.Nimal Rathnayake (Director, ICSU, Faculty of Engineering), Mr.Herath (Network Engineer), Mr. U.S.K.Ekanayake and Mr. G.A.B. Weerasekara Supervised the technical task. Mrs. Kusum Kongahakotuwa (Asst. registrar) and Mr. C. Amarakoon (Asst. Bursar) carried out relevant administrative and financial work of setting up of the E library.
The E-Library was ceremonially opened by Prof.Kapila Goonasekara, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Peradeniya, on 13th January 2005.
Dr. Thilak Jayalath (Chairman, Computer Committee, Faculty of Medicince) was appointed as the Head/ E- Library to carryout the administrative work of the E - Library .
Now the E Library provides facilities to medical students to do their project work and surf the internet. New entrants use the facility for their computer awareness programme.
Functions and services of the E-library
- Providing computer and internet facility to staff and students for academic work
- Facilitating and maintaining the Google Classroom and Moodle learning management system
- Maintaining the faculty web page
- Providing physical space and computer facilities for teaching and examinations activities
- Providing access to specialised software i.e. Plagiarism checking software
- Providing technical assistance to departments and units on network and telephone connection maintenance issues
- Conducting training sessions on Google Classroom for academic staff
- Conducting training sessions on network maintenance issues to technical staff