VISION - JUSTICE THROUGH MEDICINE
MISSION - TO PRODUCE A COMPETENT TRUTHFUL MEDICAL WITNESS TO COURT AND TO ENHANCE ETHICAL BEHAVIOUR OF THE PROFESSION
Forensic Medicine or medical jurisprudence is one of the most fascinating of all the many branches of medicine. It is known as the science which teaches the application of every branch of medical knowledge to the purpose of the law. Sooner or later every practitioner of medicine will be faced with medico-legal problems which will demand, in addition to his technical skills, knowledge of the law, a broad insight into the behaviour of people and a detailed understanding of the ways of life in the particular population that he serves.
One of the objectives of this department is to teach Forensic Medicine to undergraduates in a meaningful and enjoyable manner. This department has been introducing new methods of teaching/ learning with an emphasis on learning in an integrated manner with maximum student participation. The department also conducts activities for undergraduates to improve their reasoning skills, team work and presentations skills. The main areas of Forensic Medicine taught to undergraduates are medico-legal aspects of traumatology, toxicology, death related issues, medical ethics and professionalism.
This department at all times tries to maintain and build new relationships with different institutions with a view to improving services provided.
The staff of the Department of Forensic Medicine have diverse research interests which include many subspecialties of forensic medicine, related subjects and medical education. The department has created a friendly environment for students, staff, patients and visitors to enhance quality of education and provision of services..
- The department has been identified as a training centre in Paediatric Forensic Pathology by the PGIM.
- The department has been identified as a training centre by the PGIM for Master of Forensic Medicine training.
- We congratulate our staff and students on the following achievements
- Prof. Dinesh Fernando on successful completion of the e-publication Colour Atlas of Forensic Pathology.
- Professors. Deepthi Edussuriya and Amal Vadysinghe on their promotion to professor.
- Mr. Laxman Gunatilake on his promotion to Chief Technical Officer
- Ms. Mithila Wijeratne on her promotion to Technical officer-Grade I
- Dr. Sadiq Siddique and Dr. Dhanushka Rambukwella who successfully completed the MD (Forensic Medicine) examination.
- Dr. Dhammika Madarasinghe who passed the DLM examination.